Rufus is a small-sized app that enables users to format USB flash disks and create bootable drives rapidly. It provides standard and advanced options alike, to suit the preferences of all skill levels.
The tool is wrapped in a user-friendly interface that resembles the Format panel found in Windows built-in features. You can select a device, partition scheme and target system type, file system type (FAT32, NTFS, UDF, exFAT), cluster size, and new volume label.
Basic formatting options enable you to check the device for bad blocks, and select the algorithm type (from 1 to 4 passes). Plus, you can set the quick format mode, create an extended label and icon files, as well as create a bootable disk using an ISO image.
You can easily create bootable USB sticks for any Windows (or other OS) using the original ISO image!
Advanced tweaks can make Rufus list fixed (non-flash) or unpartitioned USB flash disks, add fixes for old BIOS (e.g. extra partition), and you may use Rufus MBR with a selected BIOS ID.
The program records all activity to a separate panel, and it can be saved to a LOG file. It carries out a format task rapidly and error-free, using low system resources. We have not come across any issues during our tests, since the utility did not cause Windows to hang or crash. To sum it up, Rufus is a straightforward solution to formatting and creating bootable USB drive, providing users with a series of useful features. There is also a portable edition available.
• not available
* Detect ISOHybrid images and prompt users on how they should be written
* Add MD5/SHA1 checksum verification (‘#’ button on the status bar)
* Add Zip decompression support for DD Images
* Add a cheat mode to save the current USB to VHD (Alt-V)
* Add a cheat mode for ISO timestamp preservation (Alt-T)
* Add a cheat more for USB enumeration debugging (Alt-.)
* Disable MS-DOS creation for Windows 10 or later (FreeDOS is still available)
* Fix Windows To Go creation issues, and enable access to internal disks
* Fix UEFI support for Fedora ISOs
* Fix some USB enumeration issues
* Other improvements and fixes, including translation updates
OS: Windows XP / Vista / 7 / 7 64 bit / 8 / 8 64 bit