is a comprehensive font editor designed for professional users, such as designers and typographers.
The interface is not particularly attractive but user-friendly. You can open fonts from a custom location or the ones built into Windows, as well as ask the program to search for fonts on the computer.
For each glyph you can edit the name and Unicode character, along with classes and type. It is possible to replace existing glyphs, rotate, shift, scale or mirror them, as well as adjust metrics and apply effects (e.g. bold, shadow, gradient, 3D rotate).
You can add notes for each glyph, delete glyphs from the respective font family, as well as use standard and advanced drawing tools to edit glyph looks, such as connection corrections, interpolation, conversion (e.g. curves to PostScript), optimization, and guide alignment.
Plus, you may import backgrounds, bitmap fonts, EPS, metrics and Mac font files, as well as export backgrounds, EPS or metrics, and save the project to file for further modifications. These are just some of the options provided by FontLab Studio.
The software application supports hotkeys and includes online tutorials. It has a good response time and uses low CPU and RAM, so it does not interfere with the runtime of other apps. We haven’t come across any difficulties in our evaluation. Thanks to its wide range of options and configurable settings, FontLab Studio should satisfy advanced users.
• Imports fonts with up to 64,000 glyphs as OpenType PS (.otf), Win TrueType / OpenType TT (.ttf), Win Type 1 (.pfb + .pfm/.afm), ASCII/Unix Type 1 (.pfa + .afm), Mac Type 1 (LWFN as .hqx, .bin), Mac TrueType (.dfont or FFIL as .hqx, .bin), TrueType AAT (.ttf, .dfont), Win Multiple Master (.pfb + .mmm), FontLab 2.5 (.vfa), FontLab 3.0-4.6/TypeTool/AsiaFont Studio/ScanFont/FontLab Studio (.vfb), Ikarus (.ik), BDF Bitmap (.bdf). Also imports glyphs as Adobe Illustrator 8 EPS (.ai, .eps), TIFF, BMP.
• Exports fonts with up to 6,400 glyphs as OpenType PS (.otf), Win TrueType / OpenType TT (.ttf), Win Type 1 (.pfb + .pfm/.afm), ASCII/Unix Type 1 (.pfa + .afm), Win Multiple Master (.pfb + .mmm), FontLab 3.0-4.6/TypeTool/AsiaFont Studio/ScanFont/TransType/FontLab Studio (.vfb). Also exports glyphs as Adobe Illustrator 8 EPS (.ai + .eps), TIFF, BMP. Mac version also exports Mac Type 1 (LWFN), Mac TrueType (.dfont or FFIL), Mac Multiple Master.
• Tools: Draw, Erase, VectorPaint, Mirror, Composite, Set Startpoint, Interpolate, Envelope, Remove Overlap, Merge Contours, Subtract Contours, Snap to Guides, Check Connections, Nodes at Extremes, Meter, TrueType and Type 1 manual hinting (with Flex), Undo (100+ levels), Sketch, Knife, Magic Wand, Rotate, Skew, Scale, Intersect Contours
• Filters: Actions: Bold, Outline, Sidebearings Control, Scale, Slant, Rotate, Autohint etc. Python-based filters: Digital, Shadow, Bevel, Drops, Slices, Mosaic. All filters can be applied on one or many glyphs. Actions can be also applied on multiple fonts at a time.
• Windows: Document Windows: Font, Glyph, Metrics; Dockable panels: Fonts, Preview/OpenType Sample/Anchors, OpenType, Class, Edit Macro, Output; Other panels: Font Map, Transformation, Editing Layers, Properties
• Encoding: Unicode (up to 4.1), Custom, ANSI, ASCII, and virtually all known codepages and encodings, Chinese, Japanese and Korean double-byte codepages
• Printouts: Font Table, Glyph List, Font Sample, Font Waterfall, Glyph Sample, Glyph Waterfall, Kerning Table, Quick Test
* not available
How To Activate
1. Read iNsTrucTioN.txt