Apache OpenOffice is a full-featured office suite that comes as a more affordable alternative to the popular Microsoft Office. It brings alternative solutions for each major tool bundled into Microsoft’s very own suite, which means that you can switch to this application even if you are a fan of MS Word, Excel, Power Point or Access. You can also download LibreOffice
Complex setup process and clear-cut GUI
Apache OpenOffice has them all, obviously under a different name, yet boasting almost the same powerful functions as Microsoft’s software package. The installer allows you to set up only the components you need, by simply selecting them, yet this is a reason why it is important to check twice before making your choices.
Using this utility is quite easy after you get used to the menus and the places functions are located. Sure, it might be a bit overwhelming for first-time users, but it’s only the way such a complex application may interact with its users.
Exploring all the multiple tools at your disposal
“Writer” is a part of the suite designed as a direct replacement for Microsoft Word. It comes with spell checking, it allows you to insert tables, pictures, files or graphs into new documents, change formatting, build macros, switch to another language or even install extensions from the same rich interface.
Apache OpenOffice “Calc” is Excel’s equivalent and it has everything you need, be it spreadsheet functions, filters, forms, charts and drawings. In addition to that the “Impress” component challenges PowerPoint and relies on a wide assortment of built-in animations and effects to make your presentations more appealing.
Conclusion and performance
“Apache OpenOffice” is an efficient and reliable piece of software which comprises all the necessary tools to become your office suite of choice. It runs quite smooth even on older computers, without popping errors or freezing, while the interface might seems quite familiar and thus, simple to handle.
Features of Apache OpenOffice 4
Apache OpenOffice.org Writer – The powerful word processor:
• The powerful word processor
• Wizards to produce standard documents such as letters, faxes, agendas, minutes.
• Styles and Formatting to put the power of style sheets into the hands of every user.
• AutoCorrect dictionary, which can check your spelling as you type.
• AutoComplete to make typing easy
• Text frames and linking for newsletters, flyers, etc..
• Table of contents, index for complex documents
• OpenDocument and MS-Word .doc format compatible
Apache OpenOffice.org Impress – Impress your audience:
• Master Pages and Layouts simplify the task of preparing your materials.
• Complete range of Views are supported: Normal / Outline / Slide Sorter / Notes / Handouts to meet all the needs of presenters and audiences.
• Easy-to-use drawing and diagramming tools to spice up your presentation.
• Slide show Animation and Effects to bring a presentation to life.
• Fontworks provides stunning 2D and 3D images from text.
• OpenDocument and MS-PowerPoint .ppt file format compatibility
Apache OpenOffice.org Calc – The full-featured spreadsheet:
• Natural language formulas let you create formulas using words (e.g. “sales – costs”).
• Hundreds of spreadsheet functions with built-in expert help
• Scenario Manager allows “what if …” analysis at the touch of a button.
• Powerful graphics to extract the meaning from your numbers
• Pull in data from external databases with DataPilot technology
• OpenDocument and MS-Excel .xls file format compatibility
Developer: Apache Software Foundation