Freeplane is a software program that you can use to create mind maps. It can be used for brainstorming sessions at work, for example. There is also a portable edition available. The interface of the app includes an intuitive layout where you can insert a multitude of elements into the mind map, such as a question or exclamation marks, stars (e.g. for ratings), light bulbs (e.g. for ideas), information signs, numbers, flags and smiley faces.
It is possible to create a new mind map from scratch by using a template. Freeplane supports multiple tabs, so you can work on multiple projects at the same time.
Aside from building and editing nodes (with HTML support), you can change the map background color, apply a style (e.g. floating node, topic, root), add hyperlinks and images, password-protect the mind map, as well as export it to HTML, JPEG, XML, XLS, TXT or other formats.
In addition, you can view map statistics, save all open maps to file, use a search and replace function, minimize nodes, change the edge color, manage time, tasks and addons, as well as edit and run scripts. A wide range of configuration options are available through the Preferences screen. For instance, you can customize the appearance (e.g. status line, default colors, selection colors) and reconfigure keyboard shortcuts.
Features of Freeplane
• Better inline_editor for all plain text nodes
• Edge-like connectors (available from connector pop-up menu)
• External objects: External bitmap and SVG images can be attached using menu Insert->External object and resized
• Image size can be reset by double clicking on the bottom right corner
• Images can be scaled by dragging the bottom right corner
Good Scripting support:
• New scripting API
• Loading and execution of external groovy scripts
• Insert image dialog and insert external object dialog have file previews
• Find or Replace in all open maps – Perhaps the most important improvement. Here’s a video of search all open maps
• Full screen mode
• Hidden Edge Style
• Horizontal Edge Style
• Hot keys can be set by pressing left mouse button on menu item and holding CONTROL key
• Outline view
Developer: Dimitry Polivaev