Classic Shell is a simple-to-use program that enables you to activate removed features in your system. It caters to all users who want to fully personalize their computer and gain access to hidden and useful options.
The complete package includes classic Explorer (adds a toolbar to Windows Explorer, replaces the copy UI and fixes some usability problems), Start menu (highly customizable), Internet Explorer 9 (customize the title bar and status bar of the web browser), and shell update (checks for new versions periodically).
As far as the Classic Start Menu is concerned, you can choose an appearance between Windows Classic, Windows XP, or Vista/Windows 7 mode.
You can specify the left click, Shift+click and Windows key actions (e.g. open Start menu or screen), display the Favorites area as a link or menu, set the menu delay time, skip the Metro screen, as well as disable the Start button.
It is possible to change the interface skin, show two columns, the user picture and name, activate white submenus, as well as reduce the glass color. These are just some of the options provided by Classic Shell.
The application is low-demanding when it comes to CPU and RAM, so it doesn’t slow down computer responsiveness. We have not come across any issues throughout our evaluation, since the app did not hang or crash. All in all, Classic Shell offers a simple solution to bringing back removed features in newer operating systems.
Classic Start Menu is a clone of the original start menu and it has a variety of advanced features:
• Drag and drop to let you organize your applications
• Options to show Favorites, expand Control Panel, etc
• Shows recently used documents. The number of documents to display is customizable
• Translated in 35 languages, including Right-to-left support for Arabic and Hebrew
• Does not disable the original start menu in Windows. You can access it by Shift+Click on the start button
• Right-click on an item in the menu to delete, rename, sort, or perform other tasks
• The search box helps you find your programs without getting in the way of your keyboard shortcuts
• Available for 32 and 64-bit operating systems
• Has support for skins, including additional 3rd party skins
• Fully customizable in both looks and functionality
• Support for Microsoft’s Active Accessibility
• Converts the “All Programs” button in the Windows menu into a cascading menu
Classic Explorer is a plugin for Windows Explorer that:
• Adds a toolbar to Explorer for some common operations (Go to parent folder, Cut, Copy, Paste, Delete, Properties, Email). The toolbar is fully customizable
• Replaces the copy UI in Vista and Windows 7 with the more user-friendly “classic” version similar to Windows XP
• Handles Alt+Enter in the folder panel of Windows Explorer and shows the properties of the selected folder
• Has options for customizing the folder panel to look more like the Windows XP version or to not fade the expand buttons
• Can show the free disk space and the total file size in the status bar
• Can disable the breadcrumbs in the address bar
• Fixes a long list of features that are broken in Windows 7 – missing icon overlay for shared folders, the jumping folders in the navigation pane, missing sorting headers in list view, and more
Classic IE is a plugin for Internet Explorer that:
• Adds a caption to the title bar so you can see the full title of the page
• Shows the security zone in the status bar
• Shows the loading progress in the status bar
* Finalized support for Windows 10 – multiple bugfixes and performance improvements
OS: Windows 7 / 7 64 bit / 8 / 8 64 bit / 2008 R2 / Server 2012 / 10 / 10 64 bit